The 17th edition of the Governor’s Cup Lagos Tennis Championship which will serve off on Monday, 9 October, 2017, at the Lagos Lawn Tennis Club, Onikan, will witness top tennis action from players across the world.
More than in recent years, this year’s championship features top 200 players from some parts of Europe and Africa, who have been playing pro-circuit tennis to rake in more ATP points to be enable them play in challengers and other major ATP tournaments in the world.
|Cem Ilkel is a 22-year-old Turkish player who is set to fight for ATP points at this year’s Governor’s Cup.|
Top on the list of the players who have agreed to play this year’s Governor’s Cup is Cem Ilkel, a 22-year-old player from Turkey, who is set to take the country by storm.
The Turkish player ranked 230 in the world, has played most of the ITF Circuits where he garnered points from, in his homeland and even though he has not won so many of them, he has been consistent with his performance.
Nigerian Tennis Live presents top facts about the player, check them out:
– In 2017 alone, Ilkel has played in France, Italy, Uzbekistan, Thailand, America, Bulgaria, Kazakhstan, Finland and Spain.
– He won his second pro-circuit tournament ever in January 2017, at the Turkey F3 tourney in Antalya.
– The 22-year-old will be coming to Nigeria from Sweden, where he is currently in a pro-circuit scheduled to end on Saturday, 7 October.
– Ilkel tried his hands on the US Open from the preliminary stages, but could not make it to the Main Draw.
– The Turkish star is the number two player in his native country and represented the country at the 2017 Davis Cup against Cyprus and Sweden.
– The right-hand, two-handed backhand player is a six footer, making him a player to watch out for when hostilities begin on Monday.